Dr. George Moleskis on Mental Health day

 A good friend of mine wrote a fantastic message  for the mental health day, and I would like to share it with you:

#mentalhealthday

It was world mental health day yesterday and I feel like saying something about the stigma and discrimination around it. I think that talking about mental health difficulties in theory and raw data is great, but it doesn't feel very inviting  for anyone that is struggling, to open up. I find that personal connection and sharing is much more powerful in that sense, so here it goes.

 I've been in therapy for the past 4 years, working on different parts of myself, sometimes, because I had to and sometimes because I wanted to. I've been learning, developing, fixing, growing, changing, healing. It often felt confusing and difficult to process things, crying session after session, not knowing why. It was also wonderful a lot of the time, as I would see myself clearer, let go, forgive, accept, move on and be more with me and with others. I am grateful for every bit of it,but I would in no way imply that everything is perfect now. I often make mistakes in my relationships, I miss myself and others, I get hurt and I hurt, but now I can at least react in a less automatic and intuitive way and be more myself.

 We all suffer in our everyday routine lives and unless we have to do otherwise, we learn to hide and lick our wounds alone. It's normal to be afraid to open up. To be afraid to be vulnerable. To find it difficult to say I need help. We all have our pride, our ego, our self to protect.

We spend years crafting our coping strategies, our defences,  our shiny armours, like medieval knights, forged using the best survival tool kit to date, given to us by our parents and their ancestors. We go on day by day trying to be  good parents, sons, sisters, brothers, workers, partners, which is great! Yet we often fail to see ourselves and each other, though those bulky armours, fearing to show our battle scars and wounds, and pain.

 L. Cohen once wrote: "Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in".

Dr George Moleskis
Counselling Psychologist

Comments

Popular Posts