Another short story by me: The train



The train

I boarded the train on the obvious station. It was no big deal for me, I had wanted to get on it for a long time now. Many bored looking people crammed the space inside. Most of them were men, as if they were going to work, just like any other day. But then I noticed that very few of them were old. That killed my spirit even more. There was a young girl too, around 15. At least she was the only one so young. 

The trip was not what I expected because nobody looked sad, just bored. A bit disappointed perhaps. The young girl looked at peace. We got out of a long tunnel and my mobile finally got signal. Apparently everyone else's did too, because most of them started to ring. An old woman fumbled with hers a bit, it was obvious she didn't know very well how it worked. She finally put it to her ear; after a minute a tear escaped her tired eyes. She looked so sweet; she had been lonely for too long. Most people just ignored their calls. It was too late now. 

Nobody is carrying luggage, but that's not a true relief. We knew it wouldn't be. We are all silently disappointed by the way this ends, and jealous of the ones outside. We knew we wouldn't get healthy again but nobody really prayed for us. Our families were even more hurt than we are: they thought it was both their own fault and that we didn't really try enough. How unfair. 

The next stop is the last one. We all get off there. We don't know what's ahead. If I could return one day, I'd raise  awareness of all this. We were not  supposed to be alone. 

Comments

Popular Posts